Ask the Pet Travel Expert


Our Expert is All Ears to Listen & Answer Questions

Do you have any pet related travel or relocation questions? Our seasoned pet travel expert is all ears. We are here to listen and help answer any pet related travel questions you have. Simply email us your question and we will post the answer on this blog page.

Please email your pet travel related question to



Hello Life Unleashed,

Q: I am planning to travel from Michigan to Hawaii for six months and would love to take my dog. What is the procedure?

Thank you!


A: Aloha Susan!

Thank you for contacting me with your question. Hawaii is a beautiful place and equally enjoyed by four paws! When traveling from the mainland to Hawaii the first step is verifying that your pet’s rabies vaccinations are current as Hawaii is rabies-free. Once you confirm that you have the required rabies vaccinations you will want to work with your vet and submit your pet’s blood work to Kansas State University for OIE – FAVN testing.

All dogs and cats, regardless of age must comply with Hawaii’s dog and cat import requirements. Some dogs and cats meeting specific pre- and post-arrival requirements may qualify for 5-day–or-less quarantine program, which has a provision for direct release at Honolulu International Airport after inspection. If your pet does not meet any of these requirements, then it will have to undergo quarantine for up to 120 days.

To enter Hawaii you will also need a completed and notarized AQS – 278 form. All dogs and cats entering the State of Hawaii are required to have a health certificate dated no more than 10 days prior to arrival. International Health Certificates ARE NOT required for entry to Hawaii and neither is USDA endorsement. You will also want to make sure your pet is microchipped. In the meantime, a helpful link for information on Hawaii’s quarantine process is

Mahalo, Susan! Please let me know if you have any further questions or would like to obtain a quote for our services.


Dear Life Unleashed,

Q: We are moving to the United Arab Emirates this summer and wondered about the requirements for importing our cats?



A: Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your email. Two pets are allowed per passport. Each cat must be fully vaccinated and implanted with a microchip. Cats must be vaccinated from Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia (FVRP), and Rabies within the last 12 months and a minimum of 21 days before arrival.  They will also need to undergo a RNATT Test (Rabies Neutralizing Test). In addition, each will need a USDA endorsed International Health Certificate issued within 10 days of departure and an airline health certificate with acclimation information. You must also obtain an import permit prior to entry.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks again!


Dear Life Unleashed,

Q: My wife and I are relocating to Rome and will be taking our dog. Is the pet relocation process expensive or difficult?

Thank you,


A: Ciao Will,

Thank you for your inquiry.  The cost of an international pet relocation starts at a minimum of $2,000.00 USD when you factor in flight costs, health documentation, custom’s clearance, vet visits, USDA stamping, and a travel crate. You will also incur additional costs for such services as airport pet taxi or reservations and logistics arrangements when done by a professional pet relocation company. Pet relocation is an extremely detail oriented process and requires accuracy. If the forms and documentation are done incorrectly your pet will not be allowed to travel. Italy also requires a power of attorney if you are not there to clear the pet yourself. You must have a microchip for your pet, full vaccinations, an EU Health Certificate, an airline certificate for travel, and USDA endorsement on your documents.

Please let me know if you would like more information on our services.


Life Unleashed Pet Movers